Within our busy café area, YMCA Edinburgh offers a range of different programmes, many in partnership with Bethany Christian Trust (see in section “Other Organisation we support” for more information). The current Community Work programme is:
- Monday: Parent and Toddler PEEP Class (with Bump Start)- 1pm to 3pm
- Tuesday: Women’s Group and Creche- 12.30pm to 2.30pm
- Wednesday: ‘Cooking Right from the Start’ (Baby weaning with Bump Start)- 10.30am to 12 noon
- Wednesday: Mid Week Church Meeting (October to May only)- 2pm to 3pm
- Thursday: Men’s Drop In- 1pm to 3pm.
Men’s Drop In
The Men’s Drop-in provides a safe and friendly place for isolated and vulnerable men to meet, develop social networks and receive support. Over the past twelve months the group has undertaken several outings and visits including the Mining Museum at Newtongrange, and a theatre production of Shakespeare’s Macbeth. A group of men have also taken part in fishing trips and are being encouraged to meet socially outwith the group to further their interest in fishing. The group meets weekly on a Thursday and for some the provision of a warm meeting place, food and friendship is a lifeline. Here is the comments from one of our members:
“It’s a lifeline for me and I’m sure it’s a lifeline for other people too. If they never had places like this a lot of us would do without. “
Women’s Drop In
The Women’s Drop-in continues to develop programmes around the needs and interests of the women who attend. This provision includes a crèche facility so that mothers can have ’time-out’ to participate in activities and programmes.